A variety of factors including panel placement, geographic location, the architectural design of your roof, temperature, and the amount of shading on your building will determine if upgrading to a solar energy system is right for your business, or home.
Efficiency in solar panels is simply the measurement of energy output in a given surface area. The more efficient a panel is, the less space it will take up on your roof. However, choosing a more efficient solar panel may not always be the most cost-effective decision available. Depending on location, installation costs will vary, hence to get it right consult the top solar panel manufacturer in West Bengal.
EFFICIENCY OF SOLAR PANELS
- More efficient means lesser surface area – The more efficient the photovoltaic solar panel, the more energy output it will have per amount of light energy hitting the cell, which will in turn take up less surface area to meet your energy requirements.
- Newer innovations are on – Today, most solar panels provide an energy efficiency rating between 11 and 15 percent, which is the percentage of solar energy that is being converted into useable electricity. While it may seem like a low percentage, advancements in solar energy technologies are continually being made, and modern panels can more than cover the energy requirements of most commercial and residential needs.
- Use of multi junction cells – Today, researchers are continually trying to improve the efficiency of photovoltaic technology. Scientists have now achieved a record of 40 percent efficiency by utilizing multi junction cells that are tuned to capture different frequencies of light on the electromagnetic spectrum. While these are currently the most efficient solar cells that have been created, they are not yet available to the general public.
- If you have a smaller roof and limited space, a more efficient solar panel may be the right choice for you. Because of their higher efficiency, these panels may be slightly more expensive, but they will still meet the energy requirements you need as per the as per the top solar panel manufacturers in Kolkata.
- If you have a larger amount of space, you may be able to achieve your energy needs with less efficient and less expensive panels to help save on your installation costs. Considering the overall cost of the panels and the kilowatt production can help you pick which is best for your installation.
PHOTOVOLTAICS AND TYPES OF SOLAR PANELS
The industry standard for solar electric systems is based on photovoltaic, or PV, technology, which converts sunlight into electricity. Multiple solar cells are interconnected to create a module, which comprises the panel.
Each panel is usually connected together in a system in which electricity is sent to an inverter to provide the power needed to run household electric devices. Efficiency is often dependent on the design of the panel and how it is engineered to capture different frequencies of light energy. Consider the following designs by top solar panel manufacturer in West Bengal:
- Mono crystalline Silicon Panels– The most efficient type of photovoltaic solar panel available today is currently mono crystalline, or single, silicon panel. Because of the higher silicon content used in the design, they are more expensive than alternative types of panels. More energy is converted into electricity, so fewer panels are needed in most roof installations to meet the same power requirements. These types of square-shaped panels are ideal for roof mounted solar electric systems.
- Polycrystalline Silicon Panels– With lower amounts of silicon utilized in polycrystalline, or multi-layered, silicon panels, they are often cheaper than their more efficient counterparts. They implement a design to help reduce this efficiency loss, allowing them to be utilized on roof mounted systems. This makes them ideal for larger projects and installations because they cost less. Polycrystalline silicon panels are also resistant more resistant to heat.
- Building Integrated Photovoltaic Panels– Appearance is an important aspect of a building as per top solar panel manufacturers in Kolkata. As with many historic buildings, or ones that feature unique architectural designs, owners might be hesitant to alter the distinctive character of a structure by installing a solar electric system. To help mitigate the aesthetic changes that solar panels might bring, building integrated photovoltaics are available. While they may be able to keep the look of traditional roofing, these types of panels are more costly and less efficient than the alternatives.
- Thin-Film Solar Cell Technology– Thin film cells are a newer photovoltaic technology that consists of one or multiple layers of thin films of photovoltaic cells that are laminated to existing material, such as metal roofing or glass windows. These photovoltaic films are very thin allowing them to be lighter and more flexible compared to other PV systems. While thin-film technology is extremely versatile, it comes at a cost. Thin-film systems are less efficient and can degrade faster than conventional solar systems, but are improving with technology advancements.